President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) responded to the shooting case which killed 31 civilians in the district of Nduga, Papua province. After opening the World Anti-Corruption Day commemoration on Tuesday in Jakarta, Jokowi admitted that Nduga district was indeed one of the regions that had a high level of vulnerability to security disturbances. He said he had ordered the Indonesian Military (TNI) Commander and National Police Chief to find deeper information regarding the shooting case. Difficulty in the field and communication in Nduga district are also among the reasons to look for a more in-depth process of extracting information.
"The incident happened in Nduga district. This was a red zone. I used to go there. I ordered the commander and the National Police Chief this morning to investigate it first because this is still confusing. Because it was suspected, because there was no signal there. Whether the incident is really like that. But we realize that Papua is indeed a very difficult terrain. And also there are still security disturbances there," said Jokowi.
Previously there were shootings which led to deaths, allegedly carried out by the Armed Criminal Group (KKB) in the Nduga region of Papua, against 31 workers on road construction in Yigi-Kali Aurak River, Yigi District, Nduga District, on Sunday (2/12). As many as 31 people working for the state-owned company PT Istaka Karya, were reportedly working to open isolation in the central mountainous region. Regarding this, President Joko Widodo said that this would not stop the process of opening regional isolation. He asserted that the development process in Papua would continue with escort from the Indonesian Military (TNI). (VOI/Ndy/AHM)