Ani Hasanah

Ani Hasanah

31
March

Indonesia’s House of Representatives opened its third session for 2019-2020 with a plenary meeting here on Monday amid a work-from-home guidance issued by the central and local authorities for the past two weeks.

The meeting was attended by 45 legislators, while 279 others participated in the session via video conferencing.

The legislature is located in Senayan, which is the epicenter of the current COVID-19 outbreak in Indonesia. The House of Representatives had earlier extended its recess from March 22 to March 29 before finally deciding to open the third session.

"By saying Bismillahhhirahmanirrahim (in the name of Allah, the beneficent, the merciful), I, as the Speaker of Indonesia's House of Representatives, announce to all Indonesian people that the third meeting session for the 2019 to 2020 period is officially starting today, March 30, 2020," House Speaker Puan Maharani said in her speech in Jakarta, Monday.

“Forty-five members of the House of Representatives are here in person, while 279 others are in their homes, attending the plenary meeting virtually," Maharani stated.

Though they were in the same room, the legislative members practiced social distancing by sitting far apart from each other.

The Jakarta Provincial Government had recorded a total of 720 COVID-19 cases as of Monday, with 48 people recovering from the viral infection and 76 succumbing to it.

Meanwhile, the Indonesian Government on March 30 reported 1,414 confirmed cases, and said 75 patients had recovered from COVID-19. The death toll was recorded at 122. (ANTARA)

29
March

President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo ordered Cabinet Secretary Pramono Anung to draft a presidential instruction that obliges regional administrations to set a guideline for handling disaster emergency or contingency plan, said National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) head Doni Monardo.

According to Doni, the President made the request during a meeting on the flood control on Friday, January 3, 2020.

"The Presidential Instruction [Inpres] will require governors, regents, mayors to arrange contingency plan," said Doni at the Presidential Office on Friday, January 3, 2020.

Doni explained that natural disasters in the country were relatively the same. During the dry season, several regions will suffer drought or forest fires, while other regions in the rainy season will experience floods or landslides.

Further, Donni explained that through the Inpres, regional heads can prepare strategies based on the potential disaster in their respective areas. So they will know what steps to take when disaster strikes.

"With the Inpres, all stakeholders can also remind regional administration to take preparation and mitigation steps," Doni remarked. (TEMPO.CO)

29
March

The National Sports Week or PON 2020, which will be held in Papua, will likely be postponed in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak, said Vice President Ma'ruf Amin.

"It is very likely to be postponed if the coronavirus is still threatening Papua and Indonesia," said Ma'ruf through a video conference at his official home on Jalan Diponegoro, Central Jakarta, Thursday, March 26, 2020.

The country's easternmost province has been dealing with the virus since a few days ago as three Papuans tested positive for the disease or Covid-19. In response to the situation, Papuan provincial administration quickly took precautionary measures to anticipate the virus outbreak.

Among the efforts are limiting the time for public activities and access to the province both via air and sea points.

Ma'ruf claimed he could not ensure when PON 2020 will be held if it is finally delayed, asserting that the government was monitoring the situation before making a final decision.

The sports week was initially scheduled to last from October 20 until November 2, 2020.

"We are still observing the implementation of PON 2020. If the coronavirus remains a threat later, the event will eventually be postponed," Ma'ruf Amin said. (tempo.co)

30
March

A combination of pictures showing what North Korean official media said was the testing of a super-large multiple rocket launcher on Sunday [KCNA via Reuters](Reuters)

North Korea confirmed on Monday a series of missiles tests, claiming the test a day earlier of what state media said were super-large multiple rocket launchers had been a success. North Korea fired what appeared to be two short-range ballistic missiles off its east coast on Sunday, the latest in a series of launches that South Korea has called "inappropriate" as the world grapples with the coronavirus pandemic.

KCNA news agency said the launch was aimed at examining the strategic and technical features of the "super-large multiple rocket launchers", which have been tested a number of times since last August usually overseen by leader Kim Jong Un.

 

KCNA, the official news agency, did not mention Kim's attendance at the latest test, which was led by governing party vice chairman Ri Pyong Chol and conducted at the Academy of National Defense Science.

"The operational deployment of the weapon system of super-large multiple rocket launchers is a crucial work of very great significance in realising the party's new strategic intention for national defence," Ri was quoted as saying during the test, without elaborating.

"The test-fire was conducted successfully," KCNA added.

It marked the fourth round of tests this month since North Korea staged military drills and resumed missile launches following a three-month break.

Talks between the United States and North Korea on denuclearisation have been largely stalled since the collapse of the summit between Kim and US President Donald Trump in Hanoi in February 2019. (Aljazeera)