RSS Feed for Voice Of Indonesia https://voinews.id Mon, 03 Oct 2022 22:27:18 +0700 Joomla! - Open Source Content Management en-gb Philippines and U.S. kick off naval exercises amid China tension https://voinews.id/index.php/component/k2/item/22699-philippines-and-u-s-kick-off-naval-exercises-amid-china-tension https://voinews.id/index.php/component/k2/item/22699-philippines-and-u-s-kick-off-naval-exercises-amid-china-tension

JVOU6YUHDNO43OWDMTLO47MIZ4.jpg

 

The armed forces of the United States and Philippines launched two weeks of joint naval exercises on Monday, reinforcing a close military alliance at a time of regional uncertainty over tensions between Washington and Beijing.

KAMANDAG, an acronym in Filipino for "Cooperation of the warriors of the sea", runs until Oct. 14, will involve 2,550 American and 530 Filipino troops and include island-based exercises in amphibious landings, live fire and humanitarian assistance.

U.S. allies Japan and South Korea are joining the exercises as observers. The Philippines and United States, which are bound by a 70-year-old Mutual Defence Treaty, have been holding exercises for decades. (Reuters)

]]>
yasmin@gmail.com (Nur Yasmin) International News Mon, 03 Oct 2022 16:06:46 +0700
Japanese emperor to take prostate MRI test in November https://voinews.id/index.php/component/k2/item/22698-japanese-emperor-to-take-prostate-mri-test-in-november https://voinews.id/index.php/component/k2/item/22698-japanese-emperor-to-take-prostate-mri-test-in-november

7MNEMZCE5NNLFMLMBQSOINBQBY.jpg

 

Japanese Emperor Naruhito is set to take a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) test in early November to check there is no disease in his prostate, the Imperial Household Agency (IHA) said in a statement on Monday.

Naruhito, 62, will take the MRI test after the result from a separate prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test showed values that were on a "somewhat concerning" trend, the agency said, without giving further details.

Naruhito last month attended the funeral of Britain's Queen Elizabeth together with Empress Masako in his first overseas trip since acceding to the throne in May 2019. (Reuters)

]]>
yasmin@gmail.com (Nur Yasmin) International News Mon, 03 Oct 2022 15:05:56 +0700
Vietnam reports first case of monkeypox https://voinews.id/index.php/component/k2/item/22697-vietnam-reports-first-case-of-monkeypox https://voinews.id/index.php/component/k2/item/22697-vietnam-reports-first-case-of-monkeypox

NAVHZOT7BVJZFKTQ2S65JQ5UKA.jpg

 

Health authorities in Vietnam's Ho Chi Minh City on Monday announced the country's first case of monkeypox, the state-run Vietnamnet newspaper reported, without giving any details on the patient. (Reuters)

]]>
yasmin@gmail.com (Nur Yasmin) International News Mon, 03 Oct 2022 15:05:21 +0700
U.N. dramatically hikes Pakistan aid appeal amid 'second wave of death and destruction' https://voinews.id/index.php/component/k2/item/22696-u-n-dramatically-hikes-pakistan-aid-appeal-amid-second-wave-of-death-and-destruction https://voinews.id/index.php/component/k2/item/22696-u-n-dramatically-hikes-pakistan-aid-appeal-amid-second-wave-of-death-and-destruction

R464VF5WZZPJHKWD47HOJ7U73I.jpg

 

 The United Nations has revised up its humanitarian appeal for Pakistan five-fold to $816 million from $160 million as it seeks to control a surge in water-borne diseases following the country's worst floods in decades, an official said on Monday.

Nearly 1,700 people have been killed in floods caused by heavy monsoon rains and melting glaciers in a crisis that the government and the U.N. have blamed on climate change.

"We are now entering a second wave of death and destruction" Julien Harneis, U.N. Humanitarian Coordinator for Pakistan said at a Geneva briefing.

"There will be an increase in child morbidity and it will be pretty terrible unless we act rapidly to support the government in increasing the provision of health, nutrition and water and sanitation services across the affected areas," he said. (Reuters)

]]>
yasmin@gmail.com (Nur Yasmin) International News Mon, 03 Oct 2022 15:04:27 +0700
Pakistan court drops contempt of court case against ex-PM Khan https://voinews.id/index.php/component/k2/item/22695-pakistan-court-drops-contempt-of-court-case-against-ex-pm-khan https://voinews.id/index.php/component/k2/item/22695-pakistan-court-drops-contempt-of-court-case-against-ex-pm-khan

2M7NGVYKFZPLJM5XLHBUKXP54E.jpg

 

A Pakistani court on Monday accepted an apology tendered by former prime minister Imran Khan and dropped a contempt of court case against him, his defence lawyer said, a ruling that ease the threat to him of disqualification from politics.

The Islamabad High Court had deferred Khan's indictment over the contempt case after he apologised to the court in person late last month.

A convicted politician is liable to be disqualified from contesting elections and holding a public office for at least five years under Pakistani law.

"Imran Khan extended his apology in honour and respect for the judiciary, and the court today reciprocated by discharging the case against him," defence lawyer Faisal Chaudhry told Reuters.

The charges were related to a speech by Khan in which he was accused of threatening police and judicial officers after one of his close aides was denied bail in a sedition case.

Khan and his legal team subsequently maintained that his remarks did not amount to a threat.

The cricket star-turned-politician has faced a spate of legal woes since his ouster in a confidence vote in April by a united opposition led by his successor, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif.

Khan has been leading rallies since his dismissal demanding snap elections, which the ruling coalition has rejected, saying voting will be held as scheduled later next year. (Reuters)

]]>
yasmin@gmail.com (Nur Yasmin) International News Mon, 03 Oct 2022 15:03:19 +0700
Two Putin allies ridicule Russia's war machine in public https://voinews.id/index.php/component/k2/item/22694-two-putin-allies-ridicule-russia-s-war-machine-in-public https://voinews.id/index.php/component/k2/item/22694-two-putin-allies-ridicule-russia-s-war-machine-in-public

LC7ZFNUBPJLLJPUXZN7KOCX3DM.jpg

 

The withdrawal of Russian forces from a strategically important town in eastern Ukraine has prompted two powerful allies of President Vladimir Putin to do something rare in modern Russia: publicly ridicule the war machine's top brass.

Russia's loss of the bastion of Lyman, which puts western parts of Luhansk region under threat, touched a nerve for Ramzan Kadyrov, the leader of the southern Russian republic of Chechnya.

Kadyrov, who has been close to Putin since his father and former president of Chechnya, Akhmad, was killed in a 2004 bomb attack in Grozny that also killed a Reuters photographer, suggested that Russia should consider using a small tactical nuclear weapon in Ukraine in response to the loss.

The nuclear warning caught the headlines, but his public scorn for Russia's top generals may have been just as significant in a Russia where public criticism of the war effort from within the top echelons of the elite has been taboo.

"Nepotism in the army will lead to no good," Kadyrov said, adding that the commander of Russian forces in the area should be stripped of his medals and sent to the front line with a gun to wash away his shame with blood.

Such public contempt for the generals running Russia's war is significant because it indicates the level of frustration within Putin's elite over the conduct of the war while also piercing the Kremlin's carefully controlled narrative.

Kadyrov, who supports the war and has sent many of his own Chechen units to fight, said his criticism was the bitter truth about a Russian fighting force which he said allowed talentless mediocrities to let down the country.

The defence ministry did not respond to a request for comment. Russian officials say the history of Russian warfare shows that fighting often begins badly until the military can be properly organised. Writing off Russia, they say, is a poor bet.

Asked about Kadyrov's remarks on using a nuclear weapon, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Monday: "This is a very emotional moment."

"The heads of regions have the right to express their point of view," Peskov told reporters. "Even at difficult moments, emotions should still be excluded from any assessments."

TOTAL WAR?

More than seven months into a war that has killed tens of thousands and triggered the biggest confrontation with the West since the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis, even Russia's most basic war aims are far from achieved.

The vast army of a former superpower has been humbled on the field of battle by a much smaller Ukrainian force backed up with weapons, intelligence and advice from Western powers led by the United States.

In a fresh setback for Moscow on Monday, a Russian-installed official confirmed Ukrainian advances along the west bank of the Dnipro River in Kherson region in southern Ukraine, one of four regions Putin claimed last week to have annexed.

Putin says Russia is now locked into an existential battle with the West, which he accuses of seeking to destroy his country. Russia, he says, will prevail in Ukraine - and has warned that he is only just starting to get serious.

On Russian state television, humility appeared to be seeping into the usual jingoistic rhetoric.

"I'd really like us to attack Kyiv and take it tomorrow, but I'm aware that the partial mobilisation will take time," presenter Vladimir Solovyov said on Rossiya 1 state television.

"For a certain period of time, things won't be easy for us. We shouldn't be expecting good news right now."

TOP BRASS

The Chechen leader said he had raised the possibility of a defeat at Lyman two weeks ago with Valery Gerasimov, chief of Russia's general staff, but that Gerasimov had dismissed the idea.

Gerasimov, 67, is the third most powerful man in the Russian military after Putin and Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu. Shoigu landed Gerasimov the top military job just a few days after he was appointed defence minister in 2012.

"I do not know what the defence ministry reports to the supreme commander-in-chief (Putin), but in my personal opinion, more drastic measures should be taken," said Kadyrov, who shed tears for the fallen at a ceremony in the Kremlin last week at which Russia formally annexed the four Ukrainian regions.

In an indication of his influence, Kadyrov's other posts showed him meeting two of the Kremlin's most powerful men: Putin's chief of staff, Anton Vaino, and Sergei Kiriyenko, the powerful first deputy chief of staff.

Asked about Kadyrov's remarks, the powerful founder of the Wagner Group of mercenaries, Yevgeny Prigozhin, congratulated the Chechen leader.

"Ramzan - you rock man!" Prigozhin, known as Putin's chef due to his company's Kremlin catering contracts, said in a statement. "All these bastards should be sent barefoot to the front with automatic guns."

When asked if his words should be considered criticism of the defence ministry, Prigozhin doused his reply with irony: "God forbid".

"These statements are not criticism, but merely a manifestation of love and support," said Prigozhin, who the United States says runs a mercenary army that has dabbled in conflicts in Mali, the Central African Republic, Libya and Syria.

"I, and Ramzan Akhmatovich even more so, are the most cultured of people," Prigozhin said, using Kadyrov's patronymic as a sign of respect. (Reuters)

]]>
yasmin@gmail.com (Nur Yasmin) International News Mon, 03 Oct 2022 15:01:20 +0700