Wenny Zulianti

Wenny Zulianti

11
March

British MP Nadine Dorries, a minister in the health department, has tested positive for coronavirus, she said in a statement on Tuesday, raising concerns about whether senior government figures have been infected.

"I can confirm I have tested positive for coronavirus... and have been self-isolating at home," said the Conservative MP.

Health officials are now trying to trace where she contracted the virus and who she has been in contact with, she added.

Six people have died in Britain from the virus, with more than 370 confirmed cases.

Dorries, who helped craft the legislation to fight the bug, is the first British politician to be diagnosed with COVID-19.

The Times reported that she had been in touch with hundreds of people, including Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

She fell unwell on Friday while signing the document that declared coronavirus a notifiable disease, meaning companies could obtain insurance cover, said the paper, adding she was now believed to be on the road to recovery.

"I would like to thank... the wonderful NHS staff who have provided me with advice and support," she said, referring to Britain's National Health Service.

The shock news is likely to increase calls to suspend parliament, despite the government's reluctance to do so in the middle of a health crisis.

Her boss Matt Hancock, who is leading Britain's response, tweeted that he was "sorry to hear Nadine has tested positive for coronavirus.

"She has done the right thing by self isolating at home, and both NHS and PHE staff have been brilliant. We all wish her well as she recovers," he added. PHE refers to Public Health England.

"We will do all we can to keep people safe, based on the best possible science."

Finance minister Rishi Sunak will on Wednesday unveil the government's first post-Brexit budget, with all eyes on emergency government measures to ease the economic pain from the coronavirus outbreak.

He is expected to give the state-run National Health Service whatever it needs to help combat the virus and promise temporary support for businesses hit by cash flow issues.

The Bank of England's incoming chief Andrew Bailey last week said UK-based companies would need help in the face of disruption to supplies caused by the virus.

Budget airlines Ryanair and EasyJet said they will cancel all Italian flights until early April after the government ordered the entire country locked down because of the virus, leaving thousands of people unable to return home.

11
March

Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan has decided to postpone the much-anticipated Formula E electric motorsports championship, which was initially scheduled to take place on June 6, as the city grapples with the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak.

The capital’s administration has decided to postpone Formula-E to a later date while monitoring the development of the outbreak to protect the safety of the people in Jakarta, especially with the risks that there might be foreign tourists from virus-affected countries coming to the event, Anies said.

“We don’t want to sacrifice the people’s safety for the sake of economic benefit,” he said on Wednesday.

City-owned developer PT Jakarta Propertindo’s director and Jakarta E-Prix Organizing Committee (OC) chairman Dwi Wahyu Daryoto said the committee had received the governor’s instruction to reschedule the championship to a later date.

“After an intensive discussion with the Formula E organizer as a stakeholder, we have come to an agreement that the Jakarta E-prix will be postponed from its initial date of June 6, 2020,” he said in a press release on Wednesday.

Indonesia has confirmed 27 cases of COVID-19 to date and reported the first possible community transmission of the disease on Tuesday, after a citizen with no link to certain confirmed cases or travel history to affected countries tested positive for the virus.

Before COVID-19 forced the Jakarta administration to postpone the Formula-E championship, the administration had previously been adamant about holding the Formula E championship in the city despite several controversies.

A politician from the ruling Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P), Gilbert Simanjuntak, previously criticized the budget plan of Rp 1.6 trillion (US$1.1 billion) to build Formula E infrastructure.

He compared Jakarta’s plan to Hong Kong’s, which hosted the 2018-2019 Formula E season and only spent about 300 million Hong Kong dollars ($39 million).

The provincial administration also had a feud with the central government, when the State Secretariat initially rejected a request to use the National Monument (Monas) complex as a circuit for Formula E.

The secretariat argued that Monas was a heritage site and that any heavy modifications might cause major damage, but retracted its objection in February as the committee vowed to preserve the cleanliness, vegetation and security of the area.

11
March

Weeks after Vietnam declared that all 16 of its coronavirus cases had recovered, the number of infected patients is on the rise following the reintroduction of the virus on a flight from Britain.

Vietnam's health ministry reported on Wednesday a total of 35 coronavirus cases, more than double the original 16.

Thirteen passengers who were on a Vietnam Airlines flight from London to Hanoi on March 2. tested positive for the virus, most of them British orVietnamese people who had travelled to other parts of Europe, including Italy, the ministry said.

Vietnam's latest coronavirus case, a 29-year-old saleswoman in the central province of Danang, had close contact with two infected British tourists from the flight on Mar. 4, the ministry said in a statement.

There have been no coronavirus deaths in Vietnam.

The health ministry said on Feb. 25 all of the 16 people who had been infected with the virus at the time had been cured, and that no new cases had been recorded since Feb. 13.

Vietnam on Monday suspended visa-free travel for citizens from eight European countries amid growing concern over the coronavirus epidemic.

The suspension applied to citizens of Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden, the United Kingdom, Germany, France and Spain, the government said in a release on its website. 

10
March

Canada has recorded its first death from the new coronavirus, health officials in the westernmost province of British Columbia announced Monday.

The victim, a man living at an elderly care facility, "was infected with COVID-19 [and] passed away last night," the province's health officer Bonnie Henry told reporters.

Officials have not released the victim's age. 

Henry said he had been a resident of the Lynn Valley Care Centre in North Vancouver. Two other residents and two caregivers had also tested positive for the disease.

The facility is designed to house around 200 elderly people.

Canada has recorded more than 70 confirmed coronavirus infections, nearly all of which are in British Columbia or Ontario, the most populated province.

The Quebec government confirmed two new cases Monday, including one person who was exposed to the virus during a trip to France.

The person is currently in self-quarantine at home.

Montreal MP Anthony Housefather told CTV he had also self-quarantined after learning that an attendee at a conference he went to in Washington had tested positive for the virus.

Housefather added that he felt fine.

The virus has killed more than 4,000 people and infected over 110,000 worldwide since it emerged late last year.