Armenian and Azerbaijani soldiers open fire at each other in the Nagorno-Karabakh region on Wednesday (3/8), resulting in at least three soldiers being killed. Both countries are actually still bound by a ceasefire agreement. However, they have accused each other of violating the ceasefire in the disputed area. Azerbaijan's Ministry of Defense said that Karabakh troops targeted Azerbaijani army posts in the Lachin region which are under the supervision of Russian peacekeepers. As a result of this attack, one Azerbaijani conscript was killed. Meanwhile, according to the country's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the bloody incident that occurred shows that Armenia is not honoring the ceasefire agreement. In contrast, the army in Nagorno-Karabakh accused Azerbaijan of violating the ceasefire and killing two soldiers and wounding 14 others.
The Azerbaijani army said that it carried out an operation dubbed "Retaliation" in response to the terrorist act of an illegal Armenian armed group in Azerbaijani territory that claimed the life of a conscripted soldier.
Previously, Armenia-Azerbaijan had also been involved in a war in the autumn of 2020. The war that lasted for six weeks killed more than 6,500 people, and ended in a ceasefire initiated by Russia.
To avoid a wider conflict, the European Union has called for an immediate end to hostilities between the two countries and both sides must respect the ceasefire.
Apart from the European Union, the United States has also expressed its condolences and concerns over what happened. US State Department Spokesperson Ned Price confirmed that he was closely following reports of intense fighting around Nagorno-Karabakh, including casualties and injuries.
In addition, the Washington side urged steps to immediately reduce tensions and avoid further escalation. Azerbaijan and Armenia have suffered heavy losses, both material and non-material, as a result of war. Thus, it is appropriate for the two warring parties to refrain from actions that can trigger open war. (VOI)