International News

International News (587)

19
July

photo : reuters

President Hassan Rouhani said on Saturday that some 25 million Iranians may have been infected with coronavirus, as Iran re-imposed restrictions in the capital and elsewhere. The figure, from a report Rouhani cited in a televised speech, was far higher than Saturday’s official figure for infections of 271,606, and corresponds to more than 30% of Iran’s 80 million population. Rouhani’s office said the number of infections was based on an “estimated scenario” from a health ministry research report. Iran has been the Middle East country hardest hit by the COVID-19 pandemic, with infections and deaths rising sharply since restrictions were eased, beginning in mid-April//Reuters

18
July

photo : oaoa.com

The British government ordered an urgent review Friday, into how daily coronavirus death figures in England are calculated, amid claims the current method overestimates the tally. As quoted by APNews.com (18/07) the review was prompted by concerns raised over why England is still recording way more deaths than Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Researchers looked at whether differing methods may account for the discrepancy. On some days recently, England has seen more than 100 daily virus-related deaths as opposed to none in the other parts of the U.K. As a whole, the U.K. has recorded a coronavirus death toll of 45,119, the third-highest in the world behind the United States and Brazil//APNews

18
July

photo : upi.com

 

 

The World Health Organization’s emergencies Dr. Michael Ryan says it is “unrealistic” to expect a larger team to arrive in China this month, to investigate the animal origins of the coronavirus. As quoted by APNews.com (18/07), last week, two WHO staffers flew to Beijing as part of an advance team to plan more studies into how COVID-19 first emerged. Experts believe the virus most likely moved to humans from animals. The investigation aims to prevent future outbreaks. Michael Ryan says WHO was trying to put together a bigger team to visit China but doubted it would happen soon. WHO’s two experts are quarantined in a Beijing hotel. The U.N. health agency says there are no plans for them to visit Wuhan, where the outbreak was first detected late last year//APNews

18
July

photo : oaoa.com

India crossed one million coronavirus cases on Friday, third only to the United States and Brazil, prompting concerns about its readiness to confront an inevitable surge that could overwhelm hospitals and test the country’s feeble health care system. As quoted by APNews.com (18/07), a surge of 34.956 new cases in the past 24 hours took the national total to 1,003,832. The Health Ministry also reported a record number of 687 deaths for a total of 25,602. It said 635,757 people have recovered and the recovery rate was continuing to improve at 63%. The grim milestone comes at a time when several Indian states are imposing focused lockdowns to stem the outbreak amid frantic efforts by local governments to protect the economy. So far, three states — Maharashtra, Delhi and Tamil Nadu — have accounted for more than half of total cases. But in India’s vast countryside, which is much less prepared and with weaker health care, the pandemic is clearly growing//APNews.com

17
July

photo : times.com

 

 

Brazil on Thursday (Jul 16) passed the 2 million confirmed coronavirus cases mark, with little sign that the rate of increase is slowing as anger grows over President Jair Bolsonaro's handling of the outbreak. Just 27 days have passed since Brazil, which has the world's second-largest outbreak after the United States, reached one million cases. In recent weeks, there have been nearly 40,000 confirmed new cases per day, according to government figures. On Thursday, confirmed cases in Brazil totaled 2,012,151, while deaths numbered 76,688. Brazil, the largest country in Latin America, is home to around 210 million. Despite the rapid spread of the virus, Bolsonaro, a far-right former army captain, has pressured local governments to lift lockdown restrictions//Reuters

17
July

photo : reuters

Hackers backed by the Russian state are trying to steal COVID-19 vaccine and treatment research from academic and pharmaceutical institutions around the world, Britain's National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) said on Thursday (Jul 16). A co-ordinated statement from Britain, the United States and Canada attributed the attacks to group APT29, also known as 'Cozy Bear', which they said was almost certainly operating as part of Russian intelligence services. British foreign minister Dominic Raab said it was "completely unacceptable" for Russian intelligence services to target work on the pandemic. The NCSC said the group's attacks were continuing and used a variety of tools and techniques, including spear-phishing and custom malware. Russian news agency RIA cited spokesman Dmitry Peskov as saying the Kremlin rejected London's allegations, which he said were not backed by proper evidence//Reuters

17
July

photo : malaysiaglobalnews

The Malaysian Election Commission (EC) is ready for a general election should snap polls be called in the near future, said Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Takiyuddin Hassan on Thursday (Jul 16).  During the minister’s question time in the parliament, Mr Takiyuddin said the EC was also working on improving election procedures in line with the COVID-19 standard operating procedures (SOPs).  As quoted by Channel News Asia, he added that although e-voting was a consideration during the pandemic, there were many shortcomings to the system. In response to another question by its member of Parliament why it would be an obstacle for Malaysia when many other countries used e-voting, Mr Takiyuddin said countries like Brazil that have used the system encountered many issues when the results were out. Due to the fact that the system was not entirely foolproof, questions arise on the legitimacy of the results and some countries have eventually turned back to traditional voting methods//CNA

17
July

photo : wikipedia

The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), concluded in Vienna on July 14, 2015 over Iran Nuclear peaceful program between Islamic Republic of Iran on one hand and the P5+1 , the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council including China, France, Russia, United Kingdom, United States plus Germany on the other hand, as an important achievement of multilateral diplomacy, which has been strongly supported by the international community, is in jeopardy due to the unilateral withdrawal of the US, on its fifth anniversary. In a press statement received by Voice of Indonesia here on Thursday, July 16, the Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran said unless the international community shall ensure the balanced implementation of all participants in good faith, it could be another victim of the US unilateral and unlawful approach. The US and its allies should bear the responsibility for the consequences of such policies. As the world acknowledged, the JCPOA was a negotiated diplomatic solution to the peaceful settlement of an artificial crisis over the Islamic Republic of Iran's peaceful nuclear program, which is comprehensive and final in nature//VOI/Antin

16
July

photo : reuters

Saudi Arabia's Energy Minister, Khalid A. Al-Falih said on Wednesday (15/7) that OPEC+ was moving to the next phase of its oil cut pact when the group is expected to ease their reductions as oil demand recovers. As quoted by Reuters (15/7), Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman also said that effective oil cuts will be deeper than 7.7 million barrels per day, thanks to a compensation plan by countries which overproduced in previous months. The prince, speaking ahead of a meeting of a key ministerial panel of OPEC+, said that there will be no increase in Saudi oil exports in August as the additional barrels will be consumed locally//Reuters

16
July

photo : yahoo

 

 

Candidates to lead the World Trade Organization –WTO urged members to reach a decision quickly on Wednesday (15/7) and address what one described as a "deep crisis" as it began the vetting process. As quoted by Reuters (15/7), nominations from eight countries have been submitted, including three women, three African candidates and a former Saudi air force pilot, to replace Brazil's Roberto Azevedo, who will step down a year early at the end of August. His successor faces an unprecedented set of challenges, such as intensifying global trade tensions, rising protectionism as well as a corona-virus-induced dive in global trade. This needs to be done as quickly as possible. This was stated by a senior trade official in Mexico, Jesus Seade describing the trade watchdog as being in "deep crisis"//Reuters

Page 9 of 42